Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

Homework

I'm not a huge fan of homework.  I never have been!  I only give the students in my class homework once a week and thats to keep the parents happy.  I personally feel my students work hard all day and do enough during the day-  I would rather them be outside playing than sitting at the table for an hour working on a math problem.  Every Monday at the end of the day we have some "Ketchup Time", where each child is assigned a task they havent yet finished.  This being said, I am always up for a challenge and usually have some homework of my own each night.  Whether I am researching an answer, printing off new worksheets, buying items needed for the classroom from ebay or heading to the library the hours are endless, but always worth it!  What are your thoughts on homework? 

12 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the students work hard all day and need a break to be a kid when they get home. Some children even have extra-curricular activities that they participate in, and often are exhausted to first start their homework when they return from practice. The main reason I feel homework is important is for the parents to know what is going on in their child's classroom. A lot of the time parents will not check their child's take home folder or school bag for important notes and homework. If a student knows that this is something that are responsible for then chances are they will take the assignment out at home and hopefully the parents will engage in the work with them. I make sure to give the class a substantial amount of time to complete the work given their schedules outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who couldn't stay awake to finish homework and procrastinated to the last minute to turn assignments in on time, I am a proponent of homework...but, not a lot.

    I believe homework not only reinforces what the teacher worked so hard to teach the students, but, homework also teaches discipline for the student. It doesn't have to be assigned daily, but, at least a few times a week.

    If only parents were more involved in their children's homework, more children would benefit from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Children have a job and their job is to do their very best at school. Our job is to teach them at school not to send home endless worksheets. I feel if a child is not able to finish or needs extra help in an area then some small fun home activites can be worthwhile, but worksheets sent home just for the sake of homework drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just came across your blog and had to comment on this post! I've taught a lot of K-1, and I am not a big fan of homework at all!

    I agree with you, I believe they've worked hard all day and that is enough. I do believe in the concept of leveled take-home books, although this doesn't have to be every night. I've sent home "conversation pieces" with my newsletter which is all I really want parents to do-talk to their child about the concepts that were taught.

    Sorry this is so long! I look forward to following your blog.

    Kelli
    Tales from a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete